Regaining Independence

CP was admitted to the Intensive Care Unit of BridgePoint Hospital National Harbor's Long Term Acute Care facility on January 16, 2016 after a prolonged hospitalization at Medstar Southern Maryland Hospital Center. Secondary to his treatment, he suffered from acute respiratory failure and sustained general body deconditioning due to continuous inactivity. Upon admission, he was in a supine state and had poor tolerance of cuff deflation while on mechanical ventilation with limited voicing. He was in need of ventilator weaning and trach care, antibiotic therapy, nutritional therapy, rehabilitation, and complete assistance with ADLs.

The Journey

Interdisciplinary specialists including a Critical Care Physician, Advanced Practice RNs, Respiratory Care Therapist, Speech and Occupational Therapists, and a Case Manager formed an integral part of CP’s care team. CP was successfully liberated from the ventilator after tolerating an intensive Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) Trial and consequently was transitioned to use a trach collar round the clock. A carefully devised plan for tracheostomy progression led to downsizing his tracheostomy tube. He was eventually decannulated and transferred to BridgePoint Sub-Acute Rehabilitation Facility on a regular-texture, thin liquid diet. He received treatment from the Rehabilitation Team who focused on his functional mobility and minimized assistance with ADLs. During the course of his therapy, he gradually went from supine state to being able to sit with assistance.

Achieved Functional Independence

With the help of therapeutic interventions, CP achieved modified independence and was able to ambulate 65 ft. with a rolling walker. He was discharged home on room air to be with his family!


Admitting Diagnosis:
Acute Respiratory Failure

Admission Date:

Discharge Date:

Discharge Location:

  • Wean Start Date: 1.16.16
  • Liberation Date: 1.23.16
  • Decannulation: 2.1.16
  • CP was decannulated within 14 days of wean start date. The efforts of the interdisciplinary team were successful in getting him off the ventilator within 7 days.